Get a Kit
A standard disaster supply kit includes a minimum of 3 days (72 hours) worth of basic supplies. A kit should be customized to your needs and situation. Below are general guidelines to follow in creating a kit.
- Water – minimum guidance is 1 gallon per day, per person, half for drinking and half for sanitation.
Tip: Before the storm, fill large containers (such as clean soda bottles) with water for drinking and cooking, and fill the bathtub for cleaning and flushing.
- Shelf-Stable Food – store food that does not require refrigeration or preparation such as canned goods or shelf-stable meals.
- Manual Can Opener
- Battery-Powered Radio – important to monitor local media and can be used without electricity (some even come with cell phone charging attachments).
- First-Aid Supplies – check supply of non-prescription pain relievers, band-aids, antibacterial ointment, insect repellent, sunscreen and other items.
- Special Needs Items – prescription medications, infant formula or other specific needs you or your family may have.
- Toiletries – hygiene items.
- Important Documents
- Pet Care Items
Disaster Supply Kit Information