Dangerous, Disruptive, or Disturbing Employee
If you encounter a DANGEROUS employee or an employee is threatening harm to self or others:
- Call 9-1-1 immediately!
If you encounter a DISRUPTIVE or DISTURBING employee (without immediate concern for safety):
- Attempt to deescalate the situation; offer to find someone to assist in problem-solving; meet and work on a solution.
- Consult with the UFHR Employee Relations Office and notify your supervisor.
- If needed, consult with the Employee Assistance Program.
- Work with your supervisor and the UFHR Employee Relations Office to develop a plan.
- Implement the plan and follow up with recommended resources and your supervisor.
- Document your actions and conversations.
If you encounter a TROUBLED employee (without immediate concern for safety):
- Consult the Employee Assistance Program and UFHR Employee Relations Office.
- Address the situation directly and how it relates to the positions; have someone else present with the two of you.
- Do not make promises of confidentiality.
- Refer employees to campus and community mental health resources.
Source: UF Human Resources (UFHR)
UFHR – Employee Assistance Program: (833) 306-0103 (24/7 access to a licensed counselor)
UFPD: (352) 392-1111
UFHR Employee Relations: (352) 392-1072
Office of Victim Services: (352) 392-5648
Alachua County Crisis Center: (352) 264-6789
Version Date: September 2021