Active Shooter / Assailant
RUN – If the assailant ‘s location is known and the opportunity to escape is available, flee the area.
- Have an escape plan in mind.
- If you are outside near the threat, find cover immediately!
- DO NOT pull the fire alarm to alert others.
- Keep your hands empty and visible and follow all instructions from public safety officials.
HIDE – If you are inside a building and the assailant(s) location is unknown, secure in place and deny access.
- Lock and barricade doors with heavy furniture.
- Stay away from doors or windows.
- Turn off lights.
- Block windows.
- Turn off radios and computer monitors.
- Keep yourself out of sight (take cover/protection from bullets by using concrete walls or heavy furniture).
- Silence your cell phone.
- Without jeopardizing safety, call or text 9-1-1 (if you cannot speak, leave the line open and allow the dispatcher to listen).
FIGHT – As a last resort and only if your life is in immediate danger, defend yourself.
- Work as a group if possible
- Improvise weapons
- Commit to your actions
Active Shooter Safety Message – University of Florida Police Department
Source: University Police Department
Additional information available at: http://www.police.ufl.edu/community-services/active-shooter-response-checklist/
Additional online training is available from UF Police for UF students, faculty and staff here.
Version Date: June 2018