Hurricane and Tropical Weather
UF is approximately 70 miles from either coast and can be impacted by hurricanes and other tropical weather. Hurricane season lasts from June 1 through November 30. It is important to prepare ahead of any tropical weather.
What to Know
What to Do
Before the storm
- Ensure disaster supply kit is stocked
- Fuel vehicle
- Inform family and friends of plan, especially if sheltering in a different location than residence
- Remove or secure outside items such as potted plants, grills and lawn furniture
During the storm
- Stay indoors and do not travel during the storm
- If winds become strong, stay away from doors and windows – take refuge in an interior room, closet or hallway
- Do NOT use candles, which can increase fire risk
- Understand that emergency services might not be able to respond during the storm
After the storm
- Document any damage with pictures
- Take reasonable actions to protect your property from further damage
- Check on your neighbors
- Avoid downed power lines and flooded areas
- Expect delays and inconveniences
- Even campus may be damaged, so please use care when traveling around to avoid hazards
Get more info
Build a plan in less than 2 minutes at https://apps.floridadisaster.org/getaplan/.
Be informed on UF Hurricane Preparedness at https://emergency.ufl.edu/preparedness/be-informed/hurricane-preparedness/.