If an active assailant is reported or encountered: Run. Hide. Fight.
RUN – If the assailant’s location is known and the opportunity to escape is available, flee the area.
- Have an escape plan in mind.
- If you are outside near the threat, find cover immediately!
- DO NOT pull the fire alarm to alert others.
- Keep your hands empty and visible and follow all instructions from public safety officials.
HIDE – If you are inside a building and the assailant(s) location is unknown, secure in place and deny access.
- Lock and barricade doors with heavy furniture.
- Stay away from doors or windows.
- Turn off lights.
- Block windows.
- Turn off radios and computer monitors.
- Keep yourself out of sight (take cover/protection from bullets by using concrete walls or heavy furniture).
- Silence your cell phone.
- Without jeopardizing safety, call 9-1-1 (if you cannot speak, leave the line open and allow the dispatcher to listen).
FIGHT – As a last resort and only if your life is in immediate danger, defend yourself.
- Work as a group if possible
- Improvise weapons
- Commit to your actions
UFPD – Active Assailant Safety Message
Source: UF Police Department (UFPD)
Version Date: August 2020