Medical Emergency – General
If you encounter someone experiencing a medical emergency (examples: heart attack, loss of consciousness, large loss of blood, or serious accident):
- Call 9-1-1.
- Unless trained, do not render assistance above basic first aid.
- If appropriate for the type of emergency and available, deploy AED.
- AEDs are dispersed throughout campus and can be located on the UF Campus Map or the Gator Safe App.
- DO NOT jeopardize your health and safety to render care.
- DO NOT attempt to move the injured/sick person unless they are in immediate danger.
- Have someone meet and escort public safety officials to the victim.
- Provide public safety officials with all known information about the incident.
Source: UF Police Department (UFPD)/Gator Emergency Medical Response Unit (GEMRU)
EH&S – Injury/Medical Assistance
UFHR – Worker’s Compensation Information
SHCC – Emergencies and Urgent Care
Version Date: October 2021