Medical Emergency – Stop the Bleed
If you encounter someone bleeding profusely:
- Call 9-1-1.
- Expose wound by moving or tearing clothing away.
- Apply firm, direct pressure to the wound using gauze or a clean cloth.
- If a STOP THE BLEED kit is available:
- Apply a tourniquet if direct pressure does not stop the bleeding.
- Position the tourniquet at least 2-3 inches from the wound and between the wound and the heart. DO NOT apply over a joint, such as elbow, knee, wrist, or ankle.
- Tighten the tourniquet as much as you can.
- Use a rod, twisting in one direction to further tighten the tourniquet and stop the bleeding.
- Secure the rod to the tourniquet so it will not unwind.
- Note the time that the tourniquet was applied.
Source: UF Police Department (UFPD)/Gator Emergency Medical Response Unit (GEMRU)
Department of Homeland Security – Applying a Tourniquet
Version Date: May 2021