Dangerous, Disruptive, or Disturbing Student
If you encounter a DANGEROUS student or a student threatening harm to self or others:
- Call 9-1-1 immediately!
If you encounter a DISRUPTIVE or DISTURBING student (without immediate concern for safety):
- Attempt to deescalate the situation; refer the student to U Matter, We Care to assist in problem-solving; meet and work on a solution.
- Inform your supervisor.
- Consult with and notify U Matter, We Care at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you encounter a TROUBLED student (without immediate concern for safety):
- Address the situation on an individual level; consider having someone meet with you and the student.
- Consult with and notify the Dean of Students Office (email@example.com).
- Avoid offering confidentiality to the student.
- Deal directly with the behavior according to classroom protocol; provide corrective feedback and offer to help.
- Encourage the student to use campus and community resources; offer to walk the student to assistance or call and make an appointment.
- Inform and consult with your supervisor.
Source: Dean of Students Office (DSO)
- UFPD: (352) 392-1111
- DSO U Matter, We Care: (352) 294-2273
- Counseling & Wellness Center: (352) 392-1575 (night and weekend crisis line for students)
- DSO/Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution: (352) 392-1261
- Alachua County Crisis Center: (352) 264-6789
Version Date: September 2018