In the event of extreme heat:
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting warm-weather clothing.
- Avoid over-exerting yourself outdoors. Reduce, eliminate or reschedule strenuous activities until the coolest time of the day.
- Spend time in air-conditioned spaces. Consider going to a cool building if you do not have air conditioning (example – common areas, dining areas, libraries).
- Drink plenty of water to help keep your body cool and hydrated.
- Avoid excessive intake of caffeine and alcoholic beverages.
- LOOK before you LOCK – Never leave people or pets unattended in a vehicle.
Source: UF Department of Emergency Management (UFDEM)
Version Date: June 2021