If a bomb threat is called in:
- DO NOT hang up on the caller; speak calmly to them.
- Write down the incoming phone number from the caller ID.
- If another person is close by, notify them and tell them to call 9-1-1.
- Keep the caller on the line.
- Be polite and ask:
- Where is the bomb located? (building, floor, room, etc.)
- When will it go off?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will make it explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- What is your name?
- Attempt to identify characteristics of the caller and their location (age, gender, voice, background noise, etc.).
- After the call, ensure 9-1-1 was notified.
- Public safety officials will decide when and if to evacuate.
Source: UF Police Department (UFPD)
UFPD – Bomb Threat Call Procedure/Checklist
Department of Homeland Security – Bomb Threat Guidance
Version Date: September 2018