In the event of Winter Weather with temperatures below 32° F for several hours: Follow the 5 P’s
- Protect People: Dress in warm layers and wear a hat and gloves. It is important to try to stay out of the wind and to stay dry. Also, remember to check on young children and the elderly who are the most sensitive to cold weather.
- Protect Pets: Bring outdoor pets inside or give them a warm shelter to stay in.
- Protect Plants: Cover cold-sensitive plants to protect them.
- Protect Pipes: Cover pipes and allow outdoor faucets to slowly drip to prevent freezing and breaking.
- Practice Fire Safety: Use safe heating sources indoors. Do not use fuel-burning devices such as grills; they release carbon monoxide, which is a deadly gas. Also, make sure to use space heaters according to their instructions and be attentive to open flames.
Source: UF Department of Emergency Management (UFDEM)
Version Date: June 2021