Dangerous, Disruptive or Disturbing Employee

gatorsafe_icon_web_DISRUPTIVEEMPLOYEEIf you encounter a DANGEROUS employee or an employee threatening harm to self or others:

  • Call 9-1-1 immediately.

If you encounter a disruptive or disturbing employee (without immediate concern for safety):

  • Attempt to deescalate the situation; offer to find someone to assist in problem-solving; meet and work on a solution.
  • Consult with the HRS Employee Relations Office and notify your supervisor.
  • If needed, consult with the Employee Assistance Program.
  • Work with your supervisor and the HRS Employee Relations Office to develop a plan.
  • Implement the plan and follow up with recommended resources and your supervisor.
  • Document your actions and conversations.

If your encounter a troubled employee (without immediate concern for safety):

  • Consult the Employee Assistance Program and Employee Relations.
  • Address the situation directly and how it relates to the positions; have someone else present with the two of you.
  • Do not make promises of confidentiality.
  • Refer employee to campus and community mental health resources.

Source: Human Resources Services

University Police: (352) 392-1111
Employee Assistance Program: (352) 392-5787
HRS Employee Relations: (352) 392-1072
Office of Victim Services: (352) 392-5648
Alachua County Crisis Center: (352) 264-6789

UFHR Wellness Website

Version Date: 08/2016