The University of Florida campus in the Gainesville area is not immune to winter weather and cold temperatures. Over the last couple of decades, he mean date of the first freeze of the season is December 1st and the mean date of the last freeze is February 27th. In total, the Gainesville area averages 16 days per year with low temperatures at freezing (32° F) or below. Although rare, the area has experienced freezing rain, sleet, and even snow.
What to Know
- Freeze Watch – Below freezing temperatures are possible for a minimum of two hours.
- Freeze Warning – Below freezing temperatures are expected for a minimum of two hours.
- Hard Freeze Watch – Temperatures less than 27° F are possible for a minimum of two hours.
- Hard Freeze Warning – Temperatures less than 27° F are expected for a minimum of two hours.
- Wind Chill Advisory – Very cold air and strong winds will combine to generate low wind chills, which could result in frost bite and hypothermia if precautions are not taken.
What to Do
Follow Take Action Guidance when appropriate.
Get More Info